Focused On Resolution And Results
- Business & Commercial
Ethan Gibson was born and raised just outside of Kansas City, Missouri. The son of a trial lawyer, Ethan grew up in the back pews of the local courthouse watching his father try cases.
After high school, Ethan embarked on a career in computer technology. By the time he was 20, Ethan was maintaining a large mainframe network for the University of Missouri and later taught network integration to I.T. specialists for large corporations across the country. These professionals were often resistant to change, and Ethan learned to employ many of the same persuasion techniques that he had seen in the courtroom to win over his audience. At 22, he became the general manager of an I.T. consulting company and was responsible for the supervision of over 25 employees.
Although successful in this career, Ethan knew that his true passion was the law, and so he began the life-long process of becoming a trial lawyer. As a trial lawyer this knowledge of computers and IT systems has been central to his ability to manage electronic discovery efficiently and find damaging documentation produced by the other side.
Ethan represents plaintiffs and defendants in business negotiations, trials, and appeals. His practice centers on complex commercial litigation, including business disputes, trade secrets, joint venture and partnership disputes (i.e., "business divorces"), oil and gas litigation, employment disputes, as well as copyright and artwork litigation.
Ethan has handled claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, tortious interference, trade secret misappropriation, appointment of a receiver, rescission, shareholder oppression, quantum meruit, unjust enrichment, promissory estoppel, housing discrimination, business defamation, bankruptcy, collection matters and wrongful termination.
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 2010
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Dean’s Scholarship
- University of Central Missouri
- B.A. - 2007
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Spanish
- Dawn of an Era in Commercial Litigation: The New Regime of the Texas Citizens Participation Act, State Bar of Texas Litigation Section Report: The Advocate, Vol. 84 at 20, 2018
- The Long Reach of the Texas Citizens Participation Act, 80 Tex. B.J. 776, 2017
- Alternative Fee Arrangements in Commercial Litigation, The Houston Lawyer, 2015
- Temporary Restraining Orders and Temporary Injunctions in Trade Secret Cases: Trends and Common Practices, Texas Center for the Judiciary, In Chambers publication, 2011
- A Case Killer Lurks In The Texas Defamation Mitigation Act, Law360, 2017
- Slapped and Sanctioned: The Heavy Hand of the Texas Citizens Participation Act, Houston Law Review: Off the Record, 2017
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Foundation Fellowship
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas